We are living in the era of Virus, Trojan, Malware and Phishing. You should take these security threats seriously for your company. Firewall is available both in hardware and software flavor. When you buy firewall software for your company, you have to pay attention for some basic features. Every product you examine should have an easy-to-use management console, provide basic perimeter defenses, accept TCP and UDP port blocking, support stateful inspection packet filtering, and be easily upgradable, both by swapping out existing hardware and replacing existing software. Before you install firewall on your PC, be sure that the Windows default Firewall is turned off. I have used a few firewall software for my company and I would like to mention the top 7 of them in this article.
- Symantec Enterprise firewall for Windows: The firewall gives you protection with fast, controlled connectivity, providing strong and transparent protection against unwanted intrusion without slowing down the traffic. You can use its optional, standards-based Symantec Enterprise VPN that can also provide low-cost, high-speed connectivity between offices and for mobile workers. This software can be installed on Windows NT/2000 or Solaris operating systems.
- Zone Alarm nInternet Security Suite: This is the most effective Firewall that I came across so far. The essential benefits are a> Operating System Firewall b> Two Way Firewall c> Protects from virus and spyware d> Identity Theft protection. The other plus points include : Network and Program Firewall: Delivers proactive firewall protection with multiple layers of security that stop inbound, outbound, and program attacks while remaining completely invisible to hackers. Guards the network perimeter from inbound and outbound threats with the world #1 firewall. Prevents spyware and other malicious programs from sending your personal information across the Internet. Full stealth mode to keep you hidden from anyone on the Internet.
- Webroot Desktop Firewall: Webroot Desktop Firewall acts as a data gatekeeper for your PC, and monitors which Internet traffic is allowed in and out. You determine which programs on your PC can access the Internet. Through a simple set up process, it instantly authorizes programs you trust, such as your Internet and e-mail programs, to connect to the Internet, and block any suspicious programs that may take over your PC, like remote Trojans, worms or zombie programs. Turn the Stealth Mode option on to make your PC invisible to attackers searching for vulnerable computers across the Internet.
- Panda Enterprise Suite: You can use this firewall for the protection of the main virus entry points into your company: workstations, file servers, messaging and groupware platforms, firewalls and proxies. You canalso use it for the OS like Win95, Win98, WinME, WinNT 3.x, WinNT 4.x, WinXP, Windows 2000.
- McAfee Firewall: The benefit of the Firewall is 1> Enhanced Hacker Tracing 2> Firewall Setting Security Check 3> Custom Firewalls Rules 4> Intrusion Detection System 5> Application scan and application control 6> Color coded firewall alerts. McAfee Firewall secures your PCs connection to the Internet whether you connect via DSL, cable modem or dial-up. It gives you the power you need to control the communications into and out of your PC.
- eScan Enterprise Edition: The main features of this firewall are 1> Real time Virus Scanning for Desktops Servers and Gateways, includes scanning of SMTP, POP3 and HTTP traffic 2> MailScan for Exchange, the Real-Time Anti-Virus and Content Security Software for Exchange gateways 3>NetBIOS Firewall. 4> 24 hours free tech support 4> Productivity Control, restricting access to non-productive website during work hours etc
- Trustix Enterprise Firewall: This is this the first WYSIWYG Firewall that gives you fast and controlled protection against unwanted intrusion. The main features are 1> drag and drop security policy deployment 2> Integrate branch offices with 3DES encrypted VPN tunnels 3>Accelerate internet access times with proxy caching server 4> Ensure high availability with fault tolerant automatic failover.